Thursday, March 21, 2013

Carrying Out my GAME Plan



Last week I established two goals to further integrate technology in my classroom.  I focused on the NETS-T standards 4a and 6a to set my goals for my GAME plan (ISTE, 2008).  The next step in my GAME plan is to set steps to take to meet my goals.

First, to support my use of technology as an assessment tool is to use our district’s student network drive as simplified version of “dropbox”.  Originally, my students and I were going to use GoogleDocs but as I reflected on the efficiency of students accessing GoogleDocs versus our already established network, it feels more fluid for students start with the network drive.  Two other reasons to use the network drive are students can easily save any type of file to the drive and others will have the ability to access the saved work when using another school devise. GoogleDocs would be more effective if more of my students had access to computers at home where they could continue their work beyond the classroom walls.

Second, in working with a diverse range of students I know that they come to us with varying degrees of preparation, prior experience, and support at home and in the community (Coulter, 2008).  To take action in supporting my diverse learners, I have created strategic groups of four where students’ strengths and weaknesses are balanced.  Each student has a specific role, which they chose based on their understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses.  My favorite part of the task is that the group cannot be successful unless all four members work together and do their part.  The students are working together to build a wiki based on their investigations of how to construct a vehicle where the energy released from a rubber band can send a vehicle into motion.  Two of my students who struggle with literacy skills are in charge of documenting their groups work through photography.  A student who struggles with fine motors skills in charge of the groups organization and supplies.  My final two students who struggle with critical thinking are paired with students who are great at summarizing and paraphrasing scientific information (knowledge from previous units).  Hopefully, with these strategic placements, the students can focus on building their wikis as a collaborative team and developing their technology skills.

“While technology is not essential to creating authentic, learner-centered instruction, it offers a powerful resource for engaging students in authentic experiences, typically increasing both their motivation and their learning” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).   By taking steps to meet my goals, my GAME plan is developing into a plan that will transform my classroom and support my students’ pathway to becoming self-directed learners.

:) Katie Weichert


References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Coulter, B. (2008). Bridging the gap with technology. Connect Magazine, 22(2), 14–15

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

6 comments:

  1. Katie,

    I think you have put a great deal of thought into your GAME plan so far. The fact that you changed your initial direction from Google Docs to the network system for sharing/storing documents demonstrates this extra thought. Do your students have their own log-ins to access the network? My students do not have individual log-ins and this has presented a problem as other students work on the same computers and they have a tendency to alter the work. Because of this issue, we are currently in the process of getting district approved flash or jump drives so that students can save their work in a safe manner.

    It is also obvious that your groups have been formed with great thought. I like the idea of the group WIKI with assigned roles and that you have allowed for the students with skill deficits to have an alternative method for contributing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey for the compliments! The network my district uses has one login for all students but I can secure our classroom's folder with a password. I have wondered about students altering each others work but haven't run into that issue yet. If I do, I will be holding a parent/teacher/principal meeting since all of our students sign a user agreement at the beginning of the year. It might even be worth reviewing the user agreement with my students again to be preventative.

      Katie

      Delete
  2. Katie,
    Great thinking about using the network shared drive. Just this week, I saved a student's file to the desktop but couldn't remember whose login it was under and it took a while to find it. Also, the way that you grouped your students sounds very effective. Their strengths are definitely being used to help them to be successful contributors to the learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,

      That is exactly why I was looking for a shared location! I am missing some of my students' final writing assignments because they can't remember which computer they saved them in. Knowing how to navigate the network will take some practice, but hopefully it will serve the purpose its designed for.

      Katie

      Delete
  3. Stacey and Amy,

    In regards to each of your comments on the group's roles, they are the most effective method of supporting my students collaboration that I have ever implemented. I highly recommend finding ways to give specific roles to your students in any group tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I really like your class networking idea. I Recently did a project with my students and stored them all to a flash drive and had to run from two different rooms this would have been a much better idea. I also liked how you grouped the students I let mine chose their own groups and it has it's positives and negatives.

    ReplyDelete